This was my day, yesterday January 3rd 2018.
- 5:30 Wake Up (if I want to shower, brush my teeth and have a little privacy in the bathroom before my kids wake up, however, if I’m willing to give that up, I sleep until 6am, rush around like a maniac and subject my children to mom boobs floppin and whole lot of not so silent f-bombs flyin…
So……I love my alone time and so many days the early morning is the only chance I get to set the tone for my day. I wish I could tell you that I meditate every morning before I start my day, but that would be bullshit. I have tried several times to take that up in the morning but I am never consistent. I wake up and literally begin to organize my day in the shower. Some of my best ideas and fitness classes are born in the shower as I scrub the suds off and use every drop of hot water my tank allows. LOL. Something about hot running water creates space for ideas to flow freely while I am in a relaxed state.
- 6am-7:10am is spent in the kitchen, between kids rooms, bathrooms, breakfast and lunch making for two picky eaters and packing bags, backpacks, and whatever else the day may require for extracurricular, after school activities like dance class, drum lessons, math tutors etc. I know you moms get it and some of you dads too. But let’s face it, moms are efficient AF and we have certainly earned our PHD in the school of multi-tasking!
As far as breakfast goes for me….I push my breakfast until about 11am. While I prepare my kids lunches, I am also at the stove cooking up my breakfast that I will take with me and eat the studio after morning classes.
I would not survive my morning of wasn’t for my COFFEE! Here’s what I love in my coffee:
- Brew the strongest, most bad ass coffee you can find. Death Wish is my fav and is roasted local
- Add 1 Scoop Collagen Protein
- Steam and froth Fresh, Organic Almond or Cashew Milk
- Stir it up, drink it down and repeat if necessary!
- 7:10 am hits and we are out the door. I pack the two kids up and drive them to two different schools in opposite directions. This commute takes anywhere between 1 hour and 1 hour and a half every morning. Why do I do this when we have busing available? I decided about 8 years ago, when I separated from my son’s father, that no matter how busy life was, how busy my schedule got, that I would always make time to really talk and listen to my kids. Because, my schedule is so crazy and I am not home much for family dinners during the week, the car rides to school have become the gateway to discovering who my children are. We sing, talk, cry, laugh and it really is the highlight of my day. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes it all goes to shit and I am clenching the steering wheel and grinding my teeth as my kids blame each other for hideous smell coming from one of their butts!! AHHHHHH can you smell it???
- 8:30 am – 2:30 pm Once I arrive at the studio, depending on the day, my roles vary. Sometimes I am teaching classes, personal training clients, meeting with nutrition clients, cleaning toilets, mopping floors, creating classes, working out, answering emails, handling all administrative work, client and member needs, creating marketing campaigns, creating new recipes, filming workouts, researching, and really the list goes on. I also bake grain-free, zero sugar, low carb bread for private clients with special diets once a week. At approx. 11 am I eat.. Here is what breakfast looks like today:
- 2:30 – 4 pm I do it all again and pick up the kids at each school, drop them where they need to be and head out again back to the studio. Some days, I am home helping with homework before I head back and some days home doesn’t happen again until 8 or 9 pm. When Shawn can help out, he does. He is an amazing dad! His schedule is so jam packed that he leaves the house at 4:30 am and doesn’t arrive home until 8 pm, so we have our hands full.
I definitely eat again between 3 and 4 pm. I am obsessed with beets right now, so when I have them in the house I try to make sure to use them anyway I can. This is something I either I prepped in the morning or I would put together and eat home. I always have sweet potatoes and veggies ready for any meal. I prep those on Sunday. Here’s a lunch jam packed with vitamins, minerals and all the right macro nutrients as well.
- 4:30 – 8 pm Back to the studio for more teaching, creating, sharing, posting, handling, and laughing. I do have the best job ever. The thing with that is this: I was not happy living someone else’s dream. I had to dream for myself, get to know who I was, do a lot of self work, learn what my boundaries are, asses my values and beliefs, and figure out the woman, mom, lover and partner, sister, daughter and friend I wanted to be. I failed over and over again. I made the same damn mistakes over and over until I changed my habits, the way I talked to myself and the way I thought about the world. Everything we do matters, all the time and even the smallest changes make a huge difference.
- 8:30 pm I finally get home, eat my dinner, get the kids to bed, clean up, organize for the morning and finally sit on the couch, usually with laptop in hand checking the last emails and falling asleep on Shawn as he catches up on Netflix! Last night I forgot my laptop at the studio, which was actually great for a change.
Last Night I didn’t get home until 9:30 pm, due to some snow and I picked up a few extra classes in order to keep my staff safe and home during the storm. Also, Thursday nights at the studio have a different energy and often times after classes, we catch up with each other, discuss relationships, careers, fears, and we celebrate our success’s together. Shawn had made some salmon at home so I ate a little piece of that with peanut butter and jelly slathered on Ezekiel Sesame Toast when I arrived home. Not the best combo but it was the best I could do after a long day. Kids were already in bed, I hate that. I really like to see them before they go to sleep but sometimes life is like that and it’s okay.
I should tell you, I only ate the salmon knowing Peanut Butter was at the end ! LOL Seriously, I hated every bite of that fuckin’ fish, but ate it for the nutrition, the PB and J was my dessert and I savored every bite!!
I didn’t make mention of any workout that I did yesterday because that didn’t happen either. I taught several classes, demonstrated various movements, threw some weights around to set up and clean up classes so that was the extent of my workout. I accomplished some major work in my office, am re-designing my website and went to sleep exhausted knowing that I put in a long, hard days work. At the end of the day I feel really good about the work I did !
Today, I will workout, eat more food, and try to go to bed by 10 pm. We’ll see how that goes…